Hello everyone. Sorry for the lack of posts this past week or so but I have been off enjoying myself in the Philippines! I had planned to try and write everyday while I was away, but alas all those plans went out the window after a few bottles of rum and I decided to have some fun in the sun instead. Even during the frequent rain storms I found it more enjoyable to read, get massages, and watch reruns of Americas next Top Model rather than work hard. But since I was on holiday I figured it was okay as we all deserve a break. My laziness since returning from my tropical jaunt is all due to my new early starts and lack of desk warming time at work.
So to make up for my lack of work of late I present to you yet another fried food recipe. Not the healthiest but definitely the tastiest way to get more pickles into your life. If you have never tried them, deep fried pickles are absolutely amazing! I have been rather obsessed with these since trying them last winter at Pizza Pub (now Route 66). I have been wanting to give it a go myself for months now, but always seem to forget about them any time I have the fryer out. So finally I got around to it. Not only are they delicious, they are also a great way to use up all those pickles I seem to procure from my ubiquitous pizza Sunday. You can use any kind of pickles you like though, and you can also bake them in the oven instead of frying if you drizzle them with a little oil first!
3 tubs of pizza pickles
5 tablespoons of seasoned flour (just add a little salt and pepper)
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup of panko crumbs (mix with the paprika)
1 teaspoon of paprika
Soy bean oil for frying
1. Add enough oil to your pan or frying pan so it covers at least an inch or two deep then heat to about 180 degrees this will be medium on a gas range, high on an electric.
2. Strain the pickles from the juice they are kept in and pat dry with kitchen roll. Then toss in the seasoned flour.
3. Dip the floured pickles into beaten egg making sure they are fully coated. Then coat in the breadcrumb mixture. Next, lay them on a plate until the pickles are ready to be fried.
4. Fry the pickles in small batches for about a minute on each side or until golden brown. Then drain on kitchen roll and repeat until they are all cooked. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce or samjang mayo.
5. To make samjang mayo mix together 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon of samjang, or to taste.